Home Page Buying Maps Books Prints Ephemera
Northern England covers Herefordshire, Worcestershire, Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Rutland, Lincolnshire and all English counties to the North. Items are grouped together by county and the counties are in alphabetical order.

30 RARE LIVERPOOL PRINTS ADDED TO LANCASHIRE AND 4 TO CHESHIRE.
Drawn by J. Pennington; wood engravings by H. Hole or Branston. Published serially by Thos Troughton 1806-1808 and later in Wm Robinson's HISTORY OF LIVERPOOL, 1810. Book and plates now rare.

All our prints are Originals. They are NOT modern reproductions or electronic copies. Images are of the item for sale and may exaggerate blemishes and alter colours. I endeavour to mention any damage. The size given is of the sheet overall, unless otherwise stated, which is the image shown including margins.

IF YOU WANT SEVERAL ITEMS, EMAIL ME FOR A DISCOUNT!

UK CUSTOMERS: If the standard postage is too high for small items, don't use the Add to Cart PayPal button; just email me your chosen items so I can invoice you at a reduced price!

Email: don@theoldmapman.com


The list of 238 items in category UK Views Northern England has been split into 5 sections. This is section 3.

  > Section 1 > Section 2 > Section 3 > Section 4 > Section 5



Lancashire. Liverpool. Exchange Buildings.
Drawn by J. Pennington; wood engravings by H. Hole or Branston. Published serially by Thos Troughton but because it did not pay sold to Wm Robinson for his HISTORY OF LIVERPOOL, 1810. Book and plates now rare.
1806-1808 - 22 x 27 cm

RARE. The first stone was laid on the thirtieth of June, 1803, and the masonry completed in March, 1807. To give the greatest degree of beauty possible to this noble design, stone of a very fine quality has been obtained from the quarries of the Earl of Sefton, in Toxteth-park, near Liverpool; and a sum of eighty thousand pounds has been raised by subscription, in shares of one hundred pounds each. The area of the Liverpool Exchange-buildings, is more than twice the area of the London Exchange; that of the one is 197 feet, from north to south, and 178 feet from east to west; that of the other is 144 feet by 117; the former contains 35,066 square feet; the latter only 16,848 square feet.

Larger image 1 :  Larger Image 2 
Ref 39107 : £7


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Liverpool. Free Masons' Hall.
Drawn by J. Pennington; wood engravings by H. Hole or Branston. Published serially by Thos Troughton but because it did not pay sold to Wm Robinson for his HISTORY OF LIVERPOOL, 1810. Book and plates now rare.
1806-1808 - 22 x 27 cm

RARE. Dates from 1800 and situated in Bold Street where the Royal Arch Lodge No. 20 is held. Bought by Liverpool Savings Bank in 1818. In the last few years the interior has been renovated but an impressive cast-iron staircase stretching some 40 feet into the upstairs rooms was observed in situ and the staircase bears a star motif possibly from its days as the Masonic Lodge. Stain in left margin, see images.

Larger image 1 :  Larger Image 2 
Ref 39129 : £5


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Liverpool. Halewood. Ancient Lodge.
Drawn by J. Pennington; wood engravings by H. Hole or Branston. Published serially by Thos Troughton but because it did not pay sold to Wm Robinson for his HISTORY OF LIVERPOOL, 1810. Book and plates now rare.
1806-1808 - 22 x 27 cm

RARE. Ancient Lodge or Gateway leading to the Venerable Ruins of the Haut or Hut, in Hale Wood, which from the time of William the Conqueror, until James I, was the residence of the Irelands. Old Hutt was a substantial isolated moated house situated just inside the south western boundary of Halewood with medieval residential buildings grouped around a great hall. Across a courtyard to the west was a gatehouse, medieval in origin but modernised in the 17th century. The gatehouse was approached across the moat by a stone bridge and causeway, which may have replaced a drawbridge. Outside the boundary of the moat on the west side was a farm precinct with at least three old buildings, the best preserved of which was a 17th century two storey building, with brick mullioned windows. The doorway of a stable block on the west side bore the inscription 'John Irelande 1603'. To the north of the farm buildings lay a series of three medieval fishponds which survived until the mid 19th century. It is thought that the moat and the known original manorial buildings, were built in the early 14th century by the Irelands, Lords of Hale. It has been suggested that Adam de Ireland, living in 1308, who married Avena, daughter of Sir Robert Holland (thus bringing the two manorial families of Hale and Halewood together), was responsible for this medieval foundation. The most substantial building to survive until 1960 was the Gatehouse. This plate was engraved by H. Hole.

Larger image 1 :  Larger Image 2 
Ref 39125 : £7


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Liverpool. North Shore.
Drawn by J. Pennington; wood engravings by H. Hole or Branston. Published serially by Thos Troughton but because it did not pay sold to Wm Robinson for his HISTORY OF LIVERPOOL, 1810. Book and plates now rare.
1806-1808 - 22 x 27 cm

RARE. As described in Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool in the year 1843: Bootle is a village about three miles distant, much frequented during summer months for sea bathing. The principal objects of attraction are the Church, which has two towers, the Water-works, and the Land-marks on the sands. The bathing and indeed a bathing machine can be seen in this engraving. Engraved by Branston.

Larger image 1 :  Larger Image 2 
Ref 39114 : £9


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Liverpool. Railway Station, Lime Street.
Liverpool Localities No. 9 by Lacey and Co., Stationers, Bold Street, Liverpool.
c1836 - 18 x 13.5 cm

RARE. Good condition with just light creasing and a stain in the upper margin. Construction of a purpose-built station at Lime Street in the city centre began in October 1833. A tunnel was constructed between Edge Hill and the new station prior to station construction in 1832 and the station was opened to the public in August 1836, although construction was not completed until the following year. Because of the steep incline between Lime Street and Edge Hill, trains were stopped at Edge Hill, their locomotives removed, and the passenger carriages taken down by gravity, with the descent controlled by brakemen. The return journey was achieved by using a stationary engine to haul the carriages up to Edge Hill by rope. Very unusual engraving from the earliest days of this famous station.

Larger image
Ref 39104 : £7


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Liverpool. School for the Blind, with the intended Additional Building.
Drawn by J. Pennington; wood engravings by H. Hole or Branston. Published serially by Thos Troughton but because it did not pay sold to Wm Robinson for his HISTORY OF LIVERPOOL, 1810. Book and plates now rare.
1806-1808 - 22 x 27 cm

RARE. Thirteen years had elapsed since an attempt was made to afford relief to those persons who were labouring under the complicated misfortunes of poverty and blindness, by forming an institution where they might be cheered by conversation, and where, by being engaged in different occupations, their minds might be relieved from the fatigue of inactivity. The object was attained without difficulty; but after the experience of a few years, and when the establishment had, in a greater degree, engaged the public attention, the committee gradually extended their views with respect to the objects under their care; and endeavoured to convert the institution from an Asylum, where the present ease and comfort of the blind were principally considered, into a School, where they might be instructed in some useful art or trade, by which they might be enabled, altogether, or in part, to procure for themselves a comfortable livelihood. Since the opening of the new building, in the spring of 1800, the number of pupils in the school has been above seventy. They are all of them usefully employed; and they exhibit a picture of cheerfulness and comfort, which can perhaps scarcely be paralleled by an equal number of individuals, of any description whatever, collected under the same roof. Note: Spotting; see images. Paper watermarked HS 1806.

Larger image 1 :  Larger Image 2 
Ref 39109 : £5


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Liverpool. St. George's Hall
Thomas Shepherd from Dugdale
c1850 - 22 x 13 cm

Original antique steel engraving.

Larger image
Ref 20506 : £6


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Liverpool. St. James' Church.
Drawn by J. Pennington; wood engravings by H. Hole or Branston. Published serially by Thos Troughton but because it did not pay sold to Wm Robinson for his HISTORY OF LIVERPOOL, 1810. Book and plates now rare.
1806-1808 - 22 x 27 cm

RARE. St James was built in 1775 on what was then the outskirts of the town of Liverpool at the junction of Upper Parliament Street and St James Place. Many of the merchants who contributed to its cost were slave traders. It is now thought to be the oldest example of a cast iron structure in the UK. Stains in left margin and at top of sheet, see images. This plate is from a drawing by I. Pen and engraved by H. Hole.

Larger image 1 :  Larger Image 2 
Ref 39128 : £5


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Liverpool. St. Peter's Church and Church Street.
Drawn by J. Pennington; wood engravings by H. Hole or Branston. Published serially by Thos Troughton but because it did not pay sold to Wm Robinson for his HISTORY OF LIVERPOOL, 1810. Book and plates now rare.
1806-1808 - 22 x 27 cm

RARE. St. Peter's Church was erected in 1700. Church Street used to be cut off from Lord Street by salt water and, until the Pool was closed in 1709, Church Street and the country beyond could only be reached by crossing over the Pool by the bridge at the foot of Lord Street. Church Street remained unpaved until 1760, and was not flagged until 1816, although there were constant complaints of its muddy state, whilst one writer depicts it as a quagmire, for there was a cattle market held there once a week. Faint water stain in left margin. Paper watermarked HS 1806.

Larger image 1 :  Larger Image 2 
Ref 39121 : £6


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Liverpool. The Exchange & Nelson's Monument.
W Westall for Charles Till
1828 - 21 x 14 cm

Original antique steel engraving.

Larger image
Ref 20468 : £6


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Liverpool. The Rock Perch.
Drawn by J. Pennington; wood engravings by H. Hole or Branston. Published serially by Thos Troughton but because it did not pay sold to Wm Robinson for his HISTORY OF LIVERPOOL, 1810. Book and plates now rare.
1806-1808 - 22 x 27 cm

RARE. The Rock Lighthouse, or Perch Rock Lighthouse, next to Fort Perch Rock, marks the extreme northern tip of the Wirral. The first structure here, erected in 1683, was a large wooden tripod or perch holding a fire, hence the current name (formerly Black Rock). This was regularly destroyed by shipping and acquired a light in the early 19th century. Nevertheless it was demolished again in 1821 when a Mersey pilot boat collided with it during a storm. Fort Perch Rock is a coastal defence battery built between 1825 and 1829. It was built to protect the Port of Liverpool and as a fortified lighthouse to replace the old Perch Rock Light. This plate is from a drawing by I. Pen and engraved by H. Hole.

Larger image 1 :  Larger Image 2 
Ref 39115 : £8


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Liverpool. The South Shore Knott s Hole, Dingle, Liverpool 8.
Drawn by J. Pennington; wood engravings by H. Hole or Branston. Published serially by Thos Troughton but because it did not pay sold to Wm Robinson for his HISTORY OF LIVERPOOL, 1810. Book and plates now rare.
1806-1808 - 22 x 27 cm

RARE. It was still relatively unspoilt in the 1950s and 60s when it was known as the Cast Iron Shore. After The Pool, probably the most famous of Liverpool's lost rivers was the Dingle Brook with its outlet near Knott's Hole. It gave its name to the adjacent district and, along with the surrounding wooded dell (The Dingle), the area was a famous local beauty spot for centuries. Knott's hole also provided an occasional sheltered landing place for crossing the Mersey when rough weather prevented the use of the Pier Head. The Ordnance Survey map of 1893 makes it clear that the area described as Knott’s Hole was actually two little rocky coves separated by the headland known as David's Throne. Dingle Brook emptied into the southerly one of these, the other being Knott's Hole proper. Faint spots.

Larger image 1 :  Larger Image 2 
Ref 39111 : £8


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Liverpool. Town Hall
Thomas Shepherd from Dugdale
c1850 - 22 x 13 cm

Original antique steel engraving. In reality the spots not so obvious.

Larger image
Ref 20091 : £6


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Liverpool. Town Hall & Mansion House
W Westall for Charles Till
1828 - 21 x 14 cm

Original antique steel engraving.

Larger image
Ref 20467 : £7


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Liverpool. Town Hall & Mansion House
From Dugdale's England & Wales Delineated
c1850 - 21 x 13 cm

Original antique steel engraving.

Larger image
Ref 20482 : £6


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Liverpool. Town Hall & Mansion House
From Dugdale's England & Wales Delineated
c1850 - 16.5 x 12 cm

Original antique steel engraving. In very good condition.

Larger image
Ref 39103 : £6


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Liverpool. Town Hall.
Drawn by J. Pennington; wood engravings by H. Hole or Branston. Published serially by Thos Troughton but because it did not pay sold to Wm Robinson for his HISTORY OF LIVERPOOL, 1810. Book and plates now rare.
1806-1808 - 22 x 27 cm

RARE. The Town Hall is situated near the centre of the town, having the New Exchange Buildings on the north, and Castle-street on the south. The first stone was laid in 1748, and the whole was completed in 1754. In 1795 the interior was consumed by fire, but has since been rebuilt. The expenses, including the furniture and internal decorations, were £110,000. The old cupola being thought too heavy, and not harmonizing with the rest of the structure, was removed, and the present one erected. The east and west fronts remain unchanged; but the part on the north side, which comprises the principal ball-room, has been added; and on the south side, a few years since, was built the portico and pediment; an addition that has contributed much to improve the general appearance of this edifice.

Larger image 1 :  Larger Image 2 
Ref 39124 : £7


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Liverpool. Wavertree, View of an Ancient Well.
Drawn by J. Pennington; wood engravings by H. Hole or Branston. Published serially by Thos Troughton but because it did not pay sold to Wm Robinson for his HISTORY OF LIVERPOOL, 1810. Book and plates now rare.
1806-1808 - 22 x 27 cm

RARE. The Monks' Well at Wavertree with the cross as it formerly stood. This is a place where charitable contributions were once collected. The base of the cross (added with the cross itself in the late 19th century) bears the inscription Qui non dat quod habet Doemon infra ridet and Anno 1414, roughly meaning The Devil laughs below at he who does not give what he has. The date 1414 may not be an exaggeration. The Pevsner Guide describes the lower stonework including the arch as undoubtedly mediaeval. Moss's Liverpool Guide of 1796 states that a monastic house was once alongside. On the cross itself is the inscription Deus dedit homo bibit or God gives, man drinks. The whole lies on the site of a spring where pure water once bubbled out from the sandstone of Olive Mount. The archway, now bricked up, once led to steps giving access to a stone cistern containing water.

Larger image 1 :  Larger Image 2 
Ref 39133 : £6


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Theberton House. With riders, greyhounds and peacocks.
Thomas Shepherd from Dugdale
c1850 - 22 x 13 cm

Original antique steel engraving.

Larger image
Ref 20093 : £4


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Leicestershire. Ashby de la Zouch
England & Wales from drawings by J M W Turner; Maclure & Macdonald
c1886 - 27 x 22 cm

Antique photolithograph. With page of history of the location.

Larger image
Ref 34795 : £3


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Leicestershire. Belvoir Castle
Thomas Shepherd from Dugdale
c1850 - 22 x 13 cm

Original antique steel engraving.

Larger image
Ref 20097 : £5


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Leicestershire. Leicester
Thomas Shepherd from Dugdale
c1850 - 22 x 13 cm

Original antique steel engraving.

Larger image
Ref 20095 : £6


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Leicestershire. Leicester
Thomas Shepherd from Dugdale
c1850 - 22 x 13 cm

Original antique steel engraving.

Larger image
Ref 20096 : £5


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Leicestershire. Leicester.
Alexander Hogg
1794 - Image 22 x 17 cm

Antique copper plate engraving. No lower margin.

Larger image
Ref 36582 : £4


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Leicestershire. Leicester.
Printed for The Modern Universal British Traveller by Burlington, Rees & Murray
1779 - 37 x 23 cm

Antique copper plate engraving, well over 200 years old. These prints are a little foxed and dusty around the outer margins and may have a little spotting elsewhere but just to the extent of looking their age. Short closed marginal edge tear.

Larger image 1 :  Larger Image 2 
Ref 39650 : £7


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lincolnshire. Boston Church
Thomas Shepherd from Dugdale
c1850 - 13 x 22 cm

Original antique steel engraving.

Larger image
Ref 20098 : £3


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lincolnshire. Ely Cathedral

c1896 - 25 x 16 cm

Antique Chromolithograph.

Larger image
Ref 34665 : £6


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lincolnshire. Epworth. Birthplace of John Wesley
Thomas Shepherd from Dugdale
c1850 - 22 x 13 cm

Original antique steel engraving.

Larger image
Ref 20101 : £3


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lincolnshire. Lincoln.
Thomas Shepherd from Dugdale
c1850 - 22 x 13 cm

Original antique steel engraving.

Larger image
Ref 20100 : £6


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lincolnshire. Thornton Abby near Barton upon Humber. A View of the Gatehouse
Drawn in 1727. Millecent delin. E. Kirkall sculp.
c1740 - 43.5 x 28.5 cm

Original antique rare copper engraving, uncoloured. A fine impression. Good condition with just a couple of spots and tiny hole in the border now sealed. On offer elsewhere at £160.

Larger image
Ref 37822 : £30


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lincolnshire. Wolsthorpe. Birthplace of Isaac Newton
Thomas Shepherd from Dugdale
c1850 - 22 x 13 cm

Original antique steel engraving.

Larger image
Ref 20099 : £3


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Northumberland. Alnwick Castle
Thomas Shepherd from Dugdale
c1850 - 22 x 13 cm

Original antique steel engraving.

Larger image
Ref 20117 : £4


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Northumberland. Bamborough, from the West.
Engraved by William Finden (1787-1852) from an original study by the north-country artist George Balmer.
c1840 - Image 17 x 12 cm

Steel line engraving on paper. Later hand colour. In very good state with just some very faint marks in the left margin.

Larger image
Ref 35449 : £11


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Northumberland. Belso Castle. South View
From the historic work of the brothers Samuel and Nathaniel Buck; Views of Ruins of Castles & Abbeys in England, 1726-1742.
19th century - 43.5 x 27 cm

Original antique copper plate engraving, uncoloured. It shows the fortified manor house and formal gardens in 1728. Very good condition save for some light scuffing to the lower left. NOTE: THIS IS THE FULL SIZE EDITION.

Larger image
Ref 37836 : £15


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Northumberland. Berwick Bridge.
Engraved by the well-known William Finden (1787-1852) from an original study by the celebrated James Duffield Harding.
1842 - Image 18 x 12 cm

A very attractive antique print - Berwick on Tweed from the landward, with the walls, the old bridge, etc. Steel line engraving on paper. Later hand colour. In very good state; very faint thumb mark at bottom.

Larger image
Ref 35452 : £11


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Northumberland. Berwick, Entrance to the Port.
Engraved by William Finden (1787-1852) from an original study by the north-country artist George Balmer.
1839 - Image 15 x 15 cm

An attractive antique Title page - a view of Berwick from the sea. Steel line engraving on paper. Sheet 20 x 27 cm.

Larger image
Ref 35453 : £11


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Northumberland. Chillingham Castle, nr Wooler. (Open).
Drawn by Alexander Francis Lydon and printed by Benjamin Fawcett for Morris's Seats of Noblemen & Gentlemen.
c1870 - 27 x 21 cm

Antique chromoxylographic print using 8 or more colour overlays from woodblocks by the Baxter process. Supplied with descriptive page of the seat.

Larger image
Ref 36765 : £8


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Northumberland. Dunstanborough Castle, from the Eastward.
Engraved by William Finden (1787-1852) from a study by James Duffield Harding.
c1840 - Image 17 x 11 cm

Steel line engraving on paper. Later coloured by hand.

Larger image
Ref 35470 : £11


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Northumberland. Dunstanborough Castle.
Engraved by the well-known Edward Finden (1791-1857) from an original study by the north-country artist George Balmer.
c1840 - Image 14 x 17 cm

A dramatic antique print - Dunstanburgh Castle by moonlight - savage seas, wreck and rescue. Line engraving on paper. Small mark at foot. See image. Later coloured by hand.

Larger image
Ref 35469 : £11


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Northumberland. Holy Island Castle.
Engraved by E Finden after G Balmer.
c1840 - Image 17 x 12 cm

An antique line engraving by Steel line engraving on paper. Later coloured by hand.

Larger image
Ref 35483 : £11


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Northumberland. Holy Island, the Castle from the West.
Engraved by E Finden after G Balmer.
c1840 - Image 17 x 12 cm

An antique line engraving by Steel line engraving on paper. Later coloured by hand. Very light damp stain has left a shadow near title, see image, and some very faint marks in the left margin.

Larger image
Ref 35482 : £11


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Northumberland. Horton Castle. South-East View
From the historic work of the brothers Samuel and Nathaniel Buck; Views of Ruins of Castles & Abbeys in England, 1726-1742.
1729 - 46 x 28 cm

Original antique copper plate engraving, uncoloured. It shows the fortified manor house in 1728 in a ruinous condition. Very good condition on laid paper. NOTE: THIS IS THE FULL SIZE EDITION.

Larger image
Ref 37839 : £20


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Northumberland. Horton Castle. South-East View
From the historic work of the brothers Samuel and Nathaniel Buck; Views of Ruins of Castles & Abbeys in England, 1726-1742.
1729 - 46 x 27.5 cm

Original antique copper plate engraving, uncoloured. It shows the fortified manor house in 1728 in a ruinous condition. Good condition on laid paper with just a few splashes of watercolour in top left margin. NOTE: THIS IS THE FULL SIZE EDITION.

Larger image
Ref 37840 : £15


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Northumberland. Howick Hall. (Open).
Drawn by Alexander Francis Lydon and printed by Benjamin Fawcett for Morris's Seats of Noblemen & Gentlemen.
c1870 - 27 x 21 cm

Antique chromoxylographic print using 8 or more colour overlays from woodblocks by the Baxter process. Supplied with descriptive page of the seat.

Larger image
Ref 36750 : £8


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Northumberland. Morpeth.
Thomas Shepherd from Dugdale
c1850 - 22 x 13 cm

Original antique steel engraving.

Larger image
Ref 20109 : £5


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Northumberland. Newcastle upon Tyne, Birthplace of Lord Eldon. With figures.
Thomas Shepherd from Dugdale
c1850 - 22 x 13 cm

Original antique steel engraving.

Larger image
Ref 20112 : £3


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Northumberland. North Shields on the Tyne
Thomas Shepherd from Dugdale
c1850 - 22 x 13 cm

Original antique steel engraving.

Larger image
Ref 20116 : £6


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Northumberland. Prudhoe Castle
England & Wales from drawings by J M W Turner; Maclure & Macdonald
c1886 - 27 x 22 cm

Antique photolithograph. With page of history of the location.

Larger image
Ref 34809 : £3


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index

The list of 238 items in category UK Views Northern England has been split into 5 sections. This is section 3.

  > Section 1 > Section 2 > Section 3 > Section 4 > Section 5
http://www.theoldmapman.com/prints/North.htm made on 15-Dec-18 at 12:14:21