Home Page Buying Maps Books Prints Ephemera
Northern England covers Herefordshire, Worcestershire, Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Rutland, Lincolnshire and all English counties to the North. Items are grouped together by county and the counties are in alphabetical order.

30 RARE LIVERPOOL PRINTS ADDED TO LANCASHIRE AND 4 TO CHESHIRE.
Drawn by J. Pennington; wood engravings by H. Hole or Branston. Published serially by Thos Troughton 1806-1808 and later in Wm Robinson's HISTORY OF LIVERPOOL, 1810. Book and plates now rare.

All our prints are Originals. They are NOT modern reproductions or electronic copies. Images are of the item for sale and may exaggerate blemishes and alter colours. I endeavour to mention any damage. The size given is of the sheet overall, unless otherwise stated, which is the image shown including margins.

IF YOU WANT SEVERAL ITEMS, EMAIL ME FOR A DISCOUNT!

UK CUSTOMERS: If the standard postage is too high for small items, don't use the Add to Cart PayPal button; just email me your chosen items so I can invoice you at a reduced price!

Email: don@theoldmapman.com


The list of 246 items in category UK Views Northern England has been split into 5 sections. This is section 2.

  > Section 1 > Section 2 > Section 3 > Section 4 > Section 5



Herefordshire. Goodrich Castle ruins.
S Sparrow; S Hooper for Grose's Antiquities of England and Wales
1775 - 23 x 32 cm

Antique hand coloured copper engraving. Image 16 x 11 on a large sheet

Larger image
Ref 34687 : £10


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Herefordshire. Goodrich Castle.
W Woolnoth; F Nash for Beauties of England & Wales
1807 - 18 x 12 cm

Antique line engraving

Larger image
Ref 35067 : £3


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Herefordshire. Goodrich Castle.
C Turner; N Row
1811 - 26 x 19 cm

Antique line engraving. Crease across bottom margin corner; short closed marginal tear

Larger image
Ref 35069 : £4


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Herefordshire. Goodrich Castle. Godrich (sic) Castle.
S Sparrow; S Hooper for Grose's Antiquities of England and Wales
1775 - 23 x 32 cm

Antique hand coloured copper engraving. Image 16 x 11 on a large sheet

Larger image
Ref 34688 : £10


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Herefordshire. Goodrich Castle. Godrich Castle (sic).
S Hooper for Grose's Antiquities of England and Wales
1784 - 26 x 16 cm

Antique copper engraving

Larger image
Ref 34643 : £3


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Herefordshire. Goodrich Castle. Godrich Castle (sic).
S Hooper for Grose's Antiquities of England and Wales
1784 - 29 x 21 cm

Antique copper engraving

Larger image
Ref 34766 : £3


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Herefordshire. Goodrich Castle. Godrich Castle (sic).
S Hooper for Grose's Antiquities of England and Wales
1784 - 24 x 19 cm

Antique copper engraving

Larger image
Ref 35073 : £3


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Herefordshire. Goodrich Castle. Part of the Chapel
C Turner; R Thorpe
1811 - 20 x 26 cm

Antique line engraving

Larger image
Ref 35070 : £3


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Herefordshire. Goodrich Castle. Plan of the Castle.

C19th - 21 x 13 cm

Antique steel engraving

Larger image
Ref 34768 : £2


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Herefordshire. Goodrich Castle. Ruins of Godrich (sic) Castle.
S Hooper for Grose's Antiquities of England and Wales
1784 - 28 x 20 cm

Antique copper engraving

Larger image
Ref 34656 : £3


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Herefordshire. Goodrich Castle. Ruins of Godrich (sic) Castle.
S Hooper for Grose's Antiquities of England and Wales
1784 - 25 x 16 cm

Antique copper engraving

Larger image
Ref 35072 : £3


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Herefordshire. Goodrich Castle. View with artist.
T Hastings; W Woolnoth
1840 - 21 x 12 cm

Antique steel engraving

Larger image
Ref 34765 : £3


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Herefordshire. Goodrich Castle. View with artist.
T Hastings; W Woolnoth
1840 - 21 x 14 cm

Antique steel engraving. Mark in right margin (see image)

Larger image
Ref 35068 : £3


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Herefordshire. Goodrich Court & Castle. View with sheep and shepherds and a boat on the river.
D Cox; W Radclyffe
Mid C19th - 21 x 13 cm

Antique steel engraving

Larger image
Ref 34655 : £4


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Herefordshire. Goodrich Court & Castle. View with sheep and shepherds and a boat on the river.
D Cox; W Radclyffe
Mid C19th - 21 x 12 cm

Antique steel engraving

Larger image
Ref 35071 : £4


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Herefordshire. Goodrich Court. Near Ross on Wye. Built 1828. Only the East gatehouse survives.
Engraved and published by J Newman
Mid C19th - 15 x 9 cm

Antique steel engraving.

Larger image
Ref 34574 : £3


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Herefordshire. Hereford Cathedral, Plan
Matches Alex Hogg's plan of 1785 but without the title and the attribution.
- 35 x 25 cm

Antique copper engraving. Two original folds.

Larger image
Ref 34711 : £3


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Herefordshire. Hereford, Blackfriars Pulpit. The pulpit with gardening tools and produce and a mother with infant on her knee.
W H Bartlett; T M Baynes & J Le Keux for Britton's Picturesque Antiquities
1830 - 21 x 28 cm

Antique line engraving.

Larger image
Ref 34701 : £5


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Herefordshire. Hereford.
Thomas Shepherd from Dugdale
c1850 - 22 x 13 cm

Original antique steel engraving.

Larger image
Ref 20048 : £5


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Herefordshire. Hereford.
From Dugdale's England & Wales Delineated
c1850 - 21 x 13 cm

Original antique steel engraving.

Larger image
Ref 20481 : £6


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Herefordshire. Herefordshire Beacon
Old England published by Charles Knight
c1860 - 14 x 12 cm

Antique woodcut

Larger image
Ref 34753 : £2


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Herefordshire. House of the Black Friars, Hereford
S Hooper for Grose's Antiquities of England and Wales
1784 - 20 x 16 cm

Antique copper engraving

Larger image
Ref 34616 : £4


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Herefordshire. Longtown Castle
J Greig (eng) for Antiquarian & Topographical Cabinet
1809 - 15 x 9 cm

Antique line engraving

Larger image
Ref 36103 : £3


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire, now Cumbria. Holker Hall, nr Cartmel. (Open).
Drawn by Alexander Francis Lydon and printed by Benjamin Fawcett for Morris's Seats of Noblemen & Gentlemen.
c1870 - 27 x 21 cm

Antique chromoxylographic print using 8 or more colour overlays from woodblocks by the Baxter process. Supplied with descriptive page of the seat.

Larger image
Ref 36761 : £10


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Blackburn. Birthplace of Robert Peel, (version 1)
Thomas Shepherd from Dugdale
c1850 - 13 x 22 cm

Original antique steel engraving.

Larger image
Ref 20088 : £3


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Blackburn. Birthplace of Robert Peel, (version 2)
Thomas Shepherd from Dugdale
c1850 - 13 x 22 cm

Original antique steel engraving.

Larger image
Ref 20089 : £3


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Blackpool Sands.
Engraved by J C Armytage after W H Bartlett.
c1840 - Image 18 x 12 cm

An antique steel line engraving on paper. Later coloured by hand. In very good and clean state.

Larger image
Ref 35456 : £13


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Broughton Tower
English Country Seats; W Watts, Chelsea
1786 - 27 x 20 cm

Antique uncoloured line engraving, with text sheet.

Larger image
Ref 30135 : £9


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Carlisle Castle
Lady's Magazine
1794 - 20 x 12 cm

Antique copper plate engraving.

Larger image
Ref 34826 : £5


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Carlisle Castle
Lady's Magazine
1764 - 20 x 12 cm

Antique copper engraving.

Larger image
Ref 35106 : £6


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Carlisle Castle
Thomas Shepherd from Dugdale
c1850 - 22 x 13 cm

Original antique steel engraving. (weak corner torn, repaired and stained but not very obvious in reality)

Larger image
Ref 20094 : £3


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Fleetwood on Wyre (Scene At).
Engraved by Robert Wallis (1794-1878) from an original study by the well-known William Henry Bartlett.
c1840 - Image 18 x 12 cm

A stylish antique print - a view of the headland. Steel line engraving on paper. In very good and clean state. Later coloured by hand.

Larger image
Ref 35474 : £11


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Lancaster Sands
England & Wales from drawings by J M W Turner; Maclure & Macdonald
c1886 - 27 x 22 cm

Antique photolithograph. With page of history of the location.

Larger image
Ref 34803 : £4


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Lancaster. North East View.
Printed for The Modern Universal British Traveller by Burlington, Rees & Murray
1779 - 37 x 23 cm

Antique copper plate engraving, well over 200 years old. These prints are a little foxed and dusty around the outer margins and may have a little spotting elsewhere but just to the extent of looking their age.

Larger image 1 :  Larger Image 2 
Ref 39609 : £7


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Lancaster. North East View.
For A & C Black's Guide to England & Wales
1874 - 18 x 12 cm

Antique wood engraving printed on a leaf from this guidebook

Larger image
Ref 39965 : £3


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Liverpool Looking North.
Liverpool Localities No. 1 by H Lacey and Co., (Stationers, 64 Bold Street, Liverpool).
c1835 - 19 x 10.5 cm

Good condition with just light creasing. A fine small view with the Mersey filled with shipping including a small steam boat and with the Wirral in the distance. Alongside the land are vast numbers of ships and I notice four windmills. Very unusual engraving from the end of the Georgian era.

Larger image
Ref 39102 : £10


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Liverpool Royal Institution, Colquitt Street.
To Wm. Roscoe, Esq. This Plate Is Respectfully Inscribed, By The Publishers. Drawn by George & Charles Pyne and engraved by Frederick Rudolph Hay and published by Fisher, Son & Co., London, 1829.
1829 - 20.5 x 13.5 cm

The Liverpool Royal Institution for the promotion of literature, science and the arts, was founded in 1814. Originally produced for their father W. H. Pyne's part-work Lancashire Illustrated (London: 1828-1831). Steel line engraving on paper. In very good and clean state. A bustling scene with many carriages and pedestrians in fashions and working dress.

Larger image
Ref 39105 : £10


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Liverpool, Seacombe Slip.
S Austin; R Wallis. This is not the vignette from the title page of Lancashire Illustrated from Original Drawings with Descriptions by Thomas Allen. It is the same illustration but printed as a separate engraved plate.
c1829 - 18.5 x 15 cm

This landing-place is so named after a small village, situated in the hundred of Wirrall, Cheshire, on the opposite banks of the Mersey, which is here about 1200 yards broad. From this village are conveyed large quantities of fruit, butter, potatoes, poultry, &c. for the supply of the Liverpool markets. The bustle and animation occasioned by the weekly return of 'the market-day, are well depicted by the group of objects which occupy the centre of this View. The smaller boats are filled with live-stock, and baskets of pro visions, from the adjacent farms in Cheshire and North Wales; the larger vessel is laden with produce from the Isle of Man. To the left of this group, and in the back-ground, a lofty Warehouse supports the apparatus of the telegraph, recently established under the superintendence of Lieutenant Watson. By a series of stations along the Welsh coast, a communication is maintained with Holyhead, in the Isle of Anglesea, at the distance of about seventy miles: and so rapid is the interchange of signals that a message has been conveyed from Liverpool to Holyhead, and an answer returned, in fifty-three seconds.

Larger image
Ref 39106 : £6


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Liverpool. All Saints, Grosvenor Street.
Drawn by J. Pennington; wood engravings by H. Hole or Branston. Published serially by Thos Troughton but because it did not pay sold to Wm Robinson for his HISTORY OF LIVERPOOL, 1810. Book and plates now rare.
1806-1808 - 22 x 27 cm

RARE. All Saints was, opened in 1798 and was sold to the Roman Catholic Church in 1845 and reopened as St. Joseph's. A new church was built on Great Nelson Street to replace it which opened in 1848. This plate is from a drawing by I. Pen.

Larger image 1 :  Larger Image 2 
Ref 39120 : £5


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Liverpool. Allerton Hall.
Drawn by J. Pennington; wood engravings by H. Hole or Branston. Published serially by Thos Troughton but because it did not pay sold to Wm Robinson for his HISTORY OF LIVERPOOL, 1810. Book and plates now rare.
1806-1808 - 22 x 27 cm

RARE. Allerton Hall is designed in Palladian style and built in red sandstone with three storeys. It is a symmetrical building, extending over eleven bays. Surviving two fires, are a room at the west end which has panelled walls and a stucco ceiling in Rococo style and parts of Roscoe's library. In about 1779, the house was bought by the lawyer, philanthropist and abolitionist, William Roscoe. Roscoe completed the building of the house but had to sell it in 1816 when he became bankrupt. Paper watermarked HS 1806.

Larger image 1 :  Larger Image 2 
Ref 39119 : £6


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Liverpool. Ancient Tower.
Drawn by J. Pennington; wood engravings by H. Hole or Branston. Published serially by Thos Troughton but because it did not pay sold to Wm Robinson for his HISTORY OF LIVERPOOL, 1810. Book and plates now rare.
1806-1808 - 22 x 27 cm

RARE. This view of the Ancient Tower, in Bank-Street (Now Water-Street), as it appeared in 1406, constituting his majesty’s gaol in and for the said borough, is the only remains of antiquity of which this town can boast. Spotting in lower half and stains at lower left. Would look fine in a mount despite one spot on the tower. See Images. Paper watermarked HS 1807.

Larger image 1 :  Larger Image 2 
Ref 39108 : £6


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Liverpool. Birthplace of Roscoe
Thomas Shepherd from Dugdale
c1850 - 22 x 13 cm

Original antique steel engraving.

Larger image
Ref 20090 : £4


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Liverpool. Botanic Garden Entrance Lodge I.
Drawn by J. Pennington; wood engravings by H. Hole or Branston. Published serially by Thos Troughton but because it did not pay sold to Wm Robinson for his HISTORY OF LIVERPOOL, 1810. Book and plates now rare.
1806-1808 - 22 x 27 cm

RARE. In 1802 a botanic garden was opened in Liverpool. Roscoe, in the middle of his struggles to end the Transatlantic slave trade, was one of the founders – along with medical doctors Bostock and Rutter, John Shepherd (an expert in fern propagation), William and George Bullock, Thomas Nuttall (a plant collector). The Corporation provided a five acre site at the top of Mount Pleasant (roughly where Abercromby Square Gardens are today). There was a stove house where pineapples could be grown, a pond, a rockery, a bog garden, a 240 foot glasshouse, and in the tradition of a physic garden, order beds where plants are grouped in a logical order of families to show resemblances to each other. By 1835 the city of Liverpool was growing quickly and the once out of town location of the Botanic Garden was now surrounded by the expanding city with its air pollution not ideal for the exotic plants. So the Botanic Garden moved to land on Edge Lane in Wavertree with a walled garden and new glasshouses. This opened in 1836.

Larger image 1 :  Larger Image 2 
Ref 39126 : £6


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Liverpool. Botanic Garden Entrance Lodge II.
Drawn by J. Pennington; wood engravings by H. Hole or Branston. Published serially by Thos Troughton but because it did not pay sold to Wm Robinson for his HISTORY OF LIVERPOOL, 1810. Book and plates now rare.
1806-1808 - 22 x 27 cm

RARE. In 1802 a botanic garden was opened in Liverpool. Roscoe, in the middle of his struggles to end the Transatlantic slave trade, was one of the founders – along with medical doctors Bostock and Rutter, John Shepherd (an expert in fern propagation), William and George Bullock, Thomas Nuttall (a plant collector). The Corporation provided a five acre site at the top of Mount Pleasant (roughly where Abercromby Square Gardens are today). There was a stove house where pineapples could be grown, a pond, a rockery, a bog garden, a 240 foot glasshouse, and in the tradition of a physic garden, order beds where plants are grouped in a logical order of families to show resemblances to each other. By 1835 the city of Liverpool was growing quickly and the once out of town location of the Botanic Garden was now surrounded by the expanding city with its air pollution not ideal for the exotic plants. So the Botanic Garden moved to land on Edge Lane in Wavertree with a walled garden and new glasshouses. This opened in 1836.

Larger image 1 :  Larger Image 2 
Ref 39127 : £6


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Liverpool. Burscough. Remains of Burscough Priory, Abbey Lane.
Drawn by J. Pennington; wood engravings by H. Hole or Branston. Published serially by Thos Troughton but because it did not pay sold to Wm Robinson for his HISTORY OF LIVERPOOL, 1810. Book and plates now rare.
1806-1808 - 22 x 27 cm

RARE. Remains of Augustinian priory two miles from Ormskirk was founded in late C12 , now consists of the two piers at the junction of the north transept and the crossing, with the respond of the north arcade and the stump of the north wall of the chancel. These are probably late C13. Faint marginal stains. See images.

Larger image 1 :  Larger Image 2 
Ref 39132 : £5


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Liverpool. Cemetery, shewing Mr Huskisson's Grave, etc.,
Artist: Thomas Talbot Bury from La Belle Assembl e: Or, Court and Fashionable Magazine; Containing Interesting and Original Literature, and Records of the Beau-monde. Whittaker and Co., June 1831 p274/5.
1831 - 23.5 x 15 cm

Aquatint. With 2 pp of text from the magazine. Light off-setting of text in the lightest sky. The Rt. Hon. William Huskisson, MP, is best known today as the world's first widely reported railway casualty as he was run over and fatally injured by George Stephenson's pioneering locomotive engine Rocket during the opening celebrations for the Liverpool and Manchester Railway on 15th September 1830. He was the first person to be interred in this new cemetery.

Larger image
Ref 39101 : £12


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Liverpool. Christ Church, Hunter Street.
Drawn by J. Pennington; wood engravings by H. Hole or Branston. Published serially by Thos Troughton but because it did not pay sold to Wm Robinson for his HISTORY OF LIVERPOOL, 1810. Book and plates now rare.
1806-1808 - 22 x 27 cm

RARE. Christ Church, Hunter Street next to a windmill. The building was consecrated in 1799. The first stone of the ’Temple’ church, as it was then known, had been laid several years earlier on Monday the 27th February 1797. In the interim it appears that the congregation met elsewhere as a curious feature of the church records is that the first baptism recorded in the registers dates from March 11th 1797. Built at a cost of £15,000, the edifice was erected on a site on the south side of Hunter Street at the expense of John Houghton (d. 1809) a distiller of the Bull Inn, Trueman Street. The Picture of Liverpool or Stranger’s Guide provides description of the church architecture in 1834: This edifice consists of brick, ornamented with stone, and the top of the Northern end is adorned with a dome. There are two tiers of galleries, the upper one containing four hundred free sittings assigned to the use of the poor. The galleries are supported in front by slender cast iron columns, and are entered by four stone staircases. At the south end there is a gallery, in which is placed an organ of a peculiar construction, having the appearance of two organs. This instrument was built by Collins of this town.

Larger image 1 :  Larger Image 2 
Ref 39118 : £7


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index


Lancashire. Liverpool. Corn Exchange.
Drawn by J. Pennington; wood engravings by H. Hole or Branston. Published serially by Thos Troughton but because it did not pay sold to Wm Robinson for his HISTORY OF LIVERPOOL, 1810. Book and plates now rare.
1806-1808 - 22 x 27 cm

RARE. Corn Exchange on the south side of Brunswick Street. It was opened in 1808 and had the advantage over the previous exchange in Mark Lane that being completely covered in those who frequent it are secured from the inclemencies of the weather!

Larger image 1 :  Larger Image 2 
Ref 39110 : £7


Return to Antique Prints & Engravings Index

The list of 246 items in category UK Views Northern England has been split into 5 sections. This is section 2.

  > Section 1 > Section 2 > Section 3 > Section 4 > Section 5
http://www.theoldmapman.com/prints/North.htm made on 28-Sep-18 at 15:12:46